What Most Successful Medical Groups Have in Common When it Comes to HCC Coding
Hierarchical Condition Category Coding (HCC Coding) is a system of coding that was put in place by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) back in 2004. This is a way for medical groups to estimate the future health care costs of a patient in regards to value-based payment models. HCC Coding is a very particular coding system and it is important to be both timely and accurate.
So, what do most medical groups have in common when it comes to being successful with HCC coding? Keep reading to learn more!
- Provider Education One of the most important things for being successful with HCC coding is provider education. It is important that physicians properly document a patient’s condition in the EMR. However, providers are often overwhelmed by the reporting requirements on their end. That is why it is important to educate providers on how value-based contracts work and engage them through coaching sessions and frequent peer reviews.
- Preparation for Each Visit In order to be successful with HCC coding, you must also have physicians properly prepare for each patient visit. This can help them accurately and completely address any chronic conditions and capture HCCs properly.
- Implement Real-Time Reporting When it comes to value-based payment programs, the financial aspect can be quite complex. There is typically a significant lag time between the coding activities and financial impact. That is why it is essential to implement real-time reporting so payments can be made in a timely manner.
- Utilize Coding Experts Last, but certainly not least, it is important to know when to ask for help. If you are struggling with HCC coding, there are experts out there that can assist. From complete outsourcing of HCC coding to coaching sessions and audits of completed codes, HCC Coders can help you take your coding accuracy to the next level.
Contact HCC Coders today for help from the experts!
At HCC Coders, we know the ins and outs of HCC coding. With our 28 years of experience, we offer a full suite of services to health plan providers. These services include:
- Medical record retrieval services
- Access to HCC coding software
- Complete, outsourced handling of all coding activities
- In-depth, focused Retrospective Chart Reviews
- Validation of ICD 10 diagnosis codes with medical records
- Highlighting of any key coding or documentation errors or omissions
- Inclusion of Part C and Part D coding in HCC data capture
- Concurrent coding
- Prospective risk adjustment coding
- Physician Chart Audit summary reports
- Identification of opportunities for coding improvement and education
If you want to bring in the experts to take your HCC coding to the next level, give us a call today at 877-328-2343!
To learn more about the reliable and quality HCC coding services that we offer, visit us on the web at HCC coding.